Why Use Bed Bug Mattress Encasements
We can’t deny it; bed bugs are on the rise in Canada and it’s not slowing down anytime soon. Not too long ago, Global News published the top ten 10 cities with the biggest bed bug problems in Canada. Bed bugs are one of the hardest pests to exterminate, and with their increasing resistance to common pesticides and a lack of public awareness and education, the problem is only getting bigger.
Some common questions surrounding bed bugs and your mattress are;
- Do I need to throw out my mattress when I have bed bugs?
- Can I protect my mattress in advance?
- Protect your mattress using a bed bug proof mattress cover
- How to choose your bed bug proof mattress cover?
FACT: 90% of bed bugs are within a 5 foot radius of your mattress
Do I need to throw out my mattress when I have bed bugs?
No, there is no need to throw out your mattress. When people realize, they have bed bugs, most consider throwing away their mattresses, but this is probably the worst thing to do. For one, you will likely be throwing out a perfectly good mattress, only to buy a new one and bring it in the same bedroom where you contracted the bed bugs in the first place. Second, if you do not dispose of it correctly, someone else might pick up your seemingly good mattress for their home and spread the problem. Thirdly, there are alternative solutions to safely protect your mattress, box spring, and pillows.
Can I protect my mattress in advance?
Yes, by taking the necessary precautions you can prevent bed bugs from penetrating and nesting inside your mattress. As a matter of fact, whether you have bed bugs or not, protecting your mattress using bed bug proof mattress covers is a sound choice. Don’t forget, bed bugs do not discriminate – it can happen to anyone. No matter how clean you keep your home or what neighborhood you live in, all bed bugs care about is their next blood meal.
Protect your mattress using a bed bug proof mattress cover
There are three primary purposes for bed bug proof covers:
- To prevent bed bugs from nesting inside your mattress, box spring, or pillow. With a bed bug proof cover, bed bugs cannot penetrate the cover and infest, nest, and reproduce inside your mattress, box spring, and pillows. Once the encasement is installed, you can rest assured that no matter what happens, your bed will remain bed bug free.
- To make bed bug inspections easier. Instead of looking in every crack, crevice, and fold of your mattress, box spring, and pillow, simply look for signs of bed bugs on the surface of the encasement. This will save you an enormous amount of time and stress.
- If you’ve had or have a bed bug infestation. To prevent the bed bugs from escaping your mattress, box spring, or pillow, use a bed bug proof encasement so that any bed bug remaining inside will eventually starve and die. Encasing your mattress when you have bed bugs is a MUST. We cannot emphasize this enough, you NEED to encase your mattress if you want to get ahead in your bed bug battle. You cannot expect to become bed bug free if you don’t use bed bug proof covers.
How to choose your bed bug proof mattress cover?
There are many choices out there when it comes to choosing a bed bug proof mattress cover. For one, be sure you get a bed bug proof mattress encasement. This might sound obvious, but there are many mattress covers on the market, and you could easily choose one that does not protect against bed bugs. What makes a mattress cover bed bug proof is the micro zipper and the safety feature which prevents the zipper from sliding open. As you can see in the image below, Protect-a-Bed uses a patented BugLock Secure Seal three-sided zipper to prevent the zipper from sliding open accidently (and trust us, bed bugs will find this opening). So always make sure you choose a bed bug proof cover that has a sturdy locking mechanism and a bed bug proof micro zipper.
These are not the only deciding factors. Be aware that each encasement company can vary in the quality of materials used and in the quality of stitching. The last thing you want is your bed bug cover to have weak stitching at the seam or be made of flimsy materials and end up with a tear or opening at a seam without you noticing, setting bed bugs free.
What are your choices?
At bedbugsos.ca, you have 3 choices of bed bug proof mattress encasements and 1 choice of bed bug proof box spring and pillow encasements. They do share some similarities, such as:
- Bed bug entry-proof and escape-proof with patented BugLock Secure Seal three-sided zipper
- Entomology lab tested bed bug proof mattress cover
- Good Housekeeping quality tested and approved
- FDA Class 1 Medical Devices
- Safety Tested by the Standard 100 by Oeko-Tex
- Compliant with Class A mattress pad flammability standard for your safety
Here are the major differences between all of them.
The most luxurious of the three mattress encasements, the AllerZip is a six-sided encasement, meaning all six sides are entirely waterproof with Miracle Membrane protection. The AllerZip is certified asthma and allergy friendly, effectively blocking out dust mites, mold, pet dander, liquids, and sweat. It’s also the only encasement with a ten-year manufacturer’s warranty, which our customers have greatly benefited from.
Same bed bug protection, but the BugLock Plus has a waterproof membrane on the top of the encasement which provides waterproof protection on the top surface of the mattress. The sides and bottom of the encasement are made of extra durable non-woven polypropylene fabric.
The most economical mattress encasement of the three. It has everything you o protect yourself against bed bugs, but is not waterproof. If you’re on a budget and looking for a simple, secure and comfortable bed bug proof mattress encasement, this one is for you!
Box Spring Cover
The bed bug proof box spring cover is made of extra durable non-woven polypropylene fabric, providing durable protection against bed bugs. Because the box spring is sometimes resting against rough materials like the bed frame, it is best to use a quality box spring encasement to avoid rips and tears. The worse thing that can happen is the encasement ripping without you noticing and worsening your bed bug infestation.
For complete protection of your bed, use bed bug proof pillow covers. Our pillow protectors are made of the best materials you can find on the market. They are entirely waterproof and certified asthma and allergy friendly with a five year manufacturer’s warranty.
Why Canadians should buy their bed bug products from BedBugSOS.ca
- Secure warehouse and strict return policy to avoid cross contamination
- Ships out the same day you order
- We only carry the best products against bed bugs. You can trust that Protect-a-Bed products are simply the best on the market.
If you have any question about bed bug encasements, please do not hesitate to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-429-1597.